Ottomans have come a long way from being just a footrest. They have evolved into versatile and functional pieces of furniture that can serve as additional seating, coffee tables, and even storage solutions. Adding storage to an ottoman can be a great option for those who want to maximize their living space and keep their belongings organized. However, like any furniture decision, there are pros and cons to consider. In this blog post, we'll explore the advantages and disadvantages of adding storage to an ottoman.
Pros of Adding Storage to an Ottoman:
- Space-saving Solution: One of the main advantages of adding storage to an ottoman is the ability to save space. Ottomans with storage allow you to keep your belongings neatly tucked away, reducing clutter in your living room or any other room where the ottoman is placed. This can be particularly beneficial in smaller spaces where storage options may be limited.
- Organized Living: Ottomans with storage provide a convenient place to store items such as blankets, pillows, remotes, magazines, and other small items that tend to clutter up a living room. Having storage inside the ottoman helps you keep your living space tidy and organized, creating a more visually appealing and functional room.
- Multi-functional Use: Ottomans with storage serve a dual purpose - they can function as both a seating option and a storage solution. This versatility makes them a practical addition to any room, as they can serve as extra seating for guests, a place to prop up your feet, and also as a storage solution for various items.
- Design and Style: Ottomans with storage come in a wide range of designs and styles to suit different interior decor preferences. You can find ottomans with storage in various materials, shapes, colors, and patterns, allowing you to choose one that complements your existing furniture and decor. This gives you the opportunity to add a stylish and functional piece of furniture to your space.
- Comfort and Ease: Rather than a traditional chaise, where the module is longer to kick your feet up on. The ottoman provides a modular options that you can move and re-arrange. With the modular build, you can also attach the ottoman with connectors to the corner module so you don’t slip between the two pieces! Easy right?
Cons of Adding Storage to an Ottoman:
- Limited Storage Space: While ottomans with storage can provide a convenient place to store small items, they may not be suitable for larger or bulkier items. The storage space inside an ottoman is usually limited and may not be sufficient for storing larger items like extra pillows or oversized blankets. It's important to consider the size and quantity of items you plan to store before deciding on an ottoman with storage.
- Accessibility: Ottomans with storage typically have a hinged or removable top for accessing the storage space. Depending on the design and placement of the ottoman, accessing the storage area may require lifting or removing the top, which can be inconvenient and cumbersome, especially if you use the ottoman to rest other items on Additionally, if you have limited mobility, it may be challenging to access the storage space inside the ottoman.
- Weight Limitations: Ottomans with storage have weight limitations for both the storage space and the seating surface as the spring system is removable from the hollow base. Exceeding the weight limit can cause damage to the ottoman, such as warping or breaking of the hinges or lid. It's important to be mindful of the weight of the items you store inside the ottoman and adhere to the weight limit specified by the manufacturer.
- Cost: Ottomans with storage can be more expensive than regular ottomans without storage due to the added functionality and design elements. If you're on a budget, adding storage to an ottoman may not be the most cost-effective option. However, it's important to consider the long-term benefits of the added storage and how it may enhance the functionality and organization of your living space. At CouchHaus, we offer this upgrade starting at $150.
- Style Limitations: While ottomans with storage come in various designs and styles, the availability of options may be more limited compared to regular ottomans. If you have a specific style or design in mind for your ottoman, adding storage to it may limit your options. The storage functionality may require certain design elements, such as a hinged or removable top, which may not always align with your preferred style. It's important to consider the aesthetic aspect and ensure that the ottoman with storage complements your existing decor and style preferences.
In conclusion, adding storage to an ottoman can be a practical and functional solution for keeping your belongings organized and maximizing your living space. It provides a space-saving option, helps you keep your living area tidy, and offers multi-functional use. However, there are also some drawbacks to consider, such as limited storage space, accessibility, weight limitations, cost, and style limitations.
If you decide to add storage to your ottoman, here are some tips to make the most out of your choice:
- Consider your storage needs: Before purchasing an ottoman with storage, assess your storage needs. Think about the type and size of items you plan to store and ensure that the ottoman's storage space is sufficient for your requirements.
- Check for accessibility: Look for ottomans with storage that provide easy accessibility to the storage space. Consider options with hinged tops or removable lids that are easy to lift or remove, ensuring that you can access your stored items without much hassle.
- Adhere to weight limitations: Be mindful of the weight limitations specified by the manufacturer and avoid exceeding them. Overloading the ottoman with heavy items can cause damage to the hinges, lid, or overall structure of the ottoman.
- Budget consideration: Ottomans with storage can be more expensive than regular ottomans, so consider your budget before making a decision. Compare different options and choose one that fits your budget while also meeting your storage needs.
- Style and design: While ottomans with storage offer functional benefits, it's important to choose one that also complements your existing decor and style preferences. Look for options that match your aesthetic and design requirements to ensure that the ottoman seamlessly blends with your overall interior decor.
Adding storage to an ottoman can be a practical and stylish choice for keeping your space organized and clutter-free. It provides a space-saving solution, helps you stay organized, and offers versatility in its use. However, it's essential to carefully consider the limitations and costs associated with adding storage to an ottoman, and choose an option that best meets your needs and budget. With the right ottoman with storage, you can enhance the functionality and aesthetics of your living space, creating a more organized and visually appealing environment.