When it comes to choosing a new couch for your home, one critical aspect to consider is ensuring that it fits perfectly within your space. Whether you live in a smaller home, condo, or have to navigate through elevators and stairways, taking accurate measurements is essential. In this blog post, we'll guide you through the process of measuring your couch, exploring various dimensions to consider, and offering tips on how to measure them accurately. By following these guidelines, you can avoid any headaches and ensure a seamless fit for your new couch from CouchHaus.
Measuring for Smaller Homes and Condos:
Living in a smaller home or condo often means having limited space, which requires careful measurement to make the most of every inch. Follow these steps to measure your couch accurately:
- Overall Space: Start by measuring the dimensions of the area where you plan to place your couch. Consider the width, length, and height of the space. Account for any architectural features, such as windows, radiators, or doorways, that may affect the available space for your couch.
- Clearance Space: Measure the distance between the walls and any existing furniture or fixtures surrounding the designated area. This measurement will help you determine the maximum width and depth your couch can be without obstructing movement or causing overcrowding.
- Doorway and Hallway Width: Measure the width of the doorway and any hallways leading to the room where the couch will be placed. Ensure the couch can pass through without any issues. If the doorway is narrower than the couch's width, consider choosing a modular or sectional couch that can be assembled inside the room.
Book a Site Visit with a Designer to help with scale and sizing for your home.
Navigating Elevators and Stairways:
Moving a couch into a building with elevators or up a flight of stairs requires careful consideration of dimensions to avoid any logistical challenges. Follow these tips when measuring for elevators and stairways:
- Elevators: Measure the width, height, and depth of the elevator entrance. Consider any obstructions, such as elevator doors, controls, or handrails, that may limit the available space. Ensure the couch's dimensions fit comfortably within the elevator, accounting for the maneuvering space needed during transportation.
- Stairways: When moving a couch up or down a flight of stairs, precise measurements are crucial. Measure the height, width, and depth of the stairwell, paying attention to any turns or landings. Additionally, measure the height and width of the stairs themselves. Keep in mind that larger, bulkier couches may require professional movers or special equipment to navigate stairways safely.
Various Dimensions to Consider:
To ensure an accurate fit for your new couch, pay attention to the following key dimensions (or check out our size guid here) :
- Width: Measure the distance between the outer edges of the couch armrests. This measurement will help determine if the couch will fit comfortably within your designated space.
- Depth: Measure the distance from the front edge of the seat cushion to the back of the couch. Ensure there is enough space for comfortable seating and easy passage behind the couch if necessary.
- Height: Measure from the floor to the highest point of the couch's backrest. Consider any architectural features, such as low ceilings or hanging light fixtures, that may affect the allowable height of the couch.
- Seat Height: Measure the distance from the floor to the top of the seat cushion. Ensure the seat height is comfortable for sitting and aligns with the height of your other seating options.
Measuring your couch accurately is essential to ensure a perfect fit within your home, especially in smaller homes, condos, or when navigating elevators and stairways. By considering the overall space, clearance requirements, doorway widths, and dimensions specific to the couch, you can avoid any surprises and ensure a seamless integration of your new couch from CouchHaus.
Remember to take accurate measurements of width, depth, height, and seat height, as these dimensions play a significant role in determining the suitability of your chosen couch. If you encounter any challenges, such as narrow doorways or tight stairwells, consider modular or sectional couches that can be easily assembled within your space.
At CouchHaus, we understand the importance of a perfect fit for your couch. Browse our collection of couches, including various sizes and configurations, and let our team assist you in finding the ideal couch that matches your space and style. With careful measurements and our expertise, you can enjoy a comfortable and well-fitted couch in your home.